My latest tool purchase is one that I’m super excited about. I’ve seen it on-line before but not in person until a few days ago. While shopping at my local scrapbook store, trying to use up my credit from that super wonderful garage sale in March, I spotted this cutting mat while lined up at the checkout. I’m really glad I took the time to check it out. While it doesn’t look like a glamorous tool, my new Basic Grey Magnetic Precision Mat Kit is my new best friend. “Instant Attraction…for precision trimming.” Yes…that sums it up!
As I’ve started back designing more layouts lately, I often find I have to leave them while creating as they DO take longer. I love planning them out on my magnetic mat and using the great super-duty magnets to keep everything in place. These magnets are so strong I can even prop the mat upright and not have any of the layers slip. This is great for taking a step back and making sure your layout is well-balanced.
One of the best features on this mat is its wonderful grid. The grid is marked out in 1/8″ intervals and makes it so easy to keep all my layers lined up perfectly. I find it much easier to line up a small design such as a card by eye but when it comes to layouts with lots of elements…it can be a little trickier.
Now if you don’t scrapbook…is this still a good product for card designers. I plan to use mine for every project I make from now on. Actually…I may actually invest in another one. Does that sound crazy? I love how it holds everything together. I often have more than one project on the go at once and if it will help me hold it all together…I’m thinking that’s a good thing!
Another part of the kit I haven’t mentioned yet is the metal ruler. This ruler has a magnetic backing. This helps prevent loss as well as movement when you are cutting. The metal edge is perfect straight edge that works perfectly with a craft knife. Every tried cutting a straight line with a plastic ruler? If you haven’t… well….it doesn’t work that well. I ended up with quite a few nicks in mine and a less than perfect cut. While you may still want to use your paper trimmer for cutting large straight layers, how about those projects where you’d like to cut out a window. The long ruler combined with the grid lines makes this simple. I’ve come across designs where I’d love to cut on a perfect angle. It can be very hard to do with a regular paper trimmer. Lining the ruler up with points on the grid works well every time.
Even if you don’t use the ruler, this mat is still great for cutting on. The self-healing mat and magnets work perfectly together for cutting fine areas of your design. If you do a lot of paper-tole and paper piecing type work, this is a great plus.
Things I like…
- magnetic ruler – in metric as well as imperial
- metal ruler gives a perfect straight edge each time
- The beveled edge on the ruler reduces slipping
- it’s 15″ x 15″ square size makes for a perfect workspace
- fabulous grid that is very easy to use
- self-healing mat that is also magnetic
- love the black surface…easy to read the white grid and doesn’t clash with colors in my layout design
- super heavy duty magnets hold everything in place
- you can purchase replacement magnets in case your children steal them to use for science experiments
- like all Basic Grey tools I’ve tried, this product is well-made and built to last
- there is a hole in the ruler and mat so that you can hang them for easy storage
Where to buy:
- local scrapbook store – I love supporting my local scrapbook store. They carry them for $31.95 CDN
- Ellen Hutson carries them in her on-line store for $22.95 US While I didn’t purchase this particular product from Ellen, I highly recommend her service.
- Two Peas in a Bucket – $25.00 US
Things to Note:
- This product is not intended for use with hammers, punches or other high-impact tools as they may damage the mat’s metal core
- If using messy paint or adhesives, protect your mat by overlaying it with a craft sheet or some scrap paper
- Tip courtesy of Beth – Be careful transporting your mat, you can bend the inner metal core.
I love the quote that comes on the package of the Basic Grey Magnetic Precision Mat…
Wyatt Earp once said, “Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.”
I think that pretty much sums it up. Accuracy takes your project to a more professional level. I love mine!
Have questions? Feel free to ask and I’ll try to answer by editing into my post.
Wishing you all a wonderful Mother’s Day! To all moms…enjoy your special day and to everyone able to spend today with their mom, cherish each moment.